This recipe started because I had 4 baby cans of V8 juice in my fridge that needed to be used.
I was thinking of what I could make with it, when I thought of taco soup. The best part about this soup is you can add whatever you want to it practically and it still turns out great. This time I had leftover quinoa which I added at the end, and it makes it even better.
I just pulled out my vegetable drawer to see what I had leftover from the week. Celery, carrots, baby peppers, garlic, and onion, and this soup was born.
My only regret is not making it spicier, so next time I will definitely add some jalapenos. I ended up adding some Tabasco (thanks to my co-worker Chris who saved the day) and I got the spice I wanted.
You can literally make this in about 30 minutes, so if you want to make a hearty dinner for your family on a weeknight, you can still do this!
Super flavorful, easy and healthy soup! Try it and let me know how you like it!
- 3 baby red peppers, chopped
- 3 baby yellow peppers, chopped
- 3 baby orange peppers, chopped
- ¼ green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 baby cans of V8 juice
- 1 can condensed tomato soup (do not add extra water with the canned soup)
- 1 package taco seasoning (or 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tsp. paprika)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup leftover red quinoa (optional – you can replace it with cooked pasta)
- Splash of your favorite hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons powdered chicken stock
- 5 cups of water (or you can just add 4 cups already prepared chicken stock)
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin beef
- In a large pot, add the 1 tablespoon of oil and add the chopped veggies (carrots, celery, garlic, onion, peppers and fresh or frozen corn)
- Stir on low heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the ground sirloin and cook until no longer pink. (I used 4% fat - if you used a fattier type of ground beef, then cook the meat first, drain the fat and then add the veggies).
- Next add the chicken broth, the 4 baby cans of V8 juice, the package of taco seasoning, the black beans and bring soup to a boil.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Next, I added the leftover quinoa to the soup and simmered it for another 5 minutes.
- Serve into bowls and season with salt and pepper if you like.
(CORRECTION: use FIVE cups chicken stock)
Unfortunately here in Chicago – summer is holding on and we’re having 90′s at the beginning of this week, followed by high of 60′s by the end of the week – gotta love Chicago weather!
But if it feels like fall where you live, then this is the perfect comfort soup!
What is your favorite thing to make once fall starts and the temps start to drop?