I’ve been wanting to make this soup for a long time, but just have never gotten around to it. I originally had lasagna on my menu this week, but 2 things changed my mind. I was on Pinterest today looking at soup recipes and lasagna soup was one of them. Then I searched lasagna soup and there are SO many recipes out there! And my twin sister posted that she made this soup 33 times!
Since I had all the stuff to make it – I switched plans and made this soup instead. I don’t know why I waited so long – this soup is AMAZING!!!! My whole family loved it – definitely making it again and I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow 🙂
- FOR THE SOUP:
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1-1/2 lbs. Italian sausage (I used 1 pound)
- 3 c. chopped onions (I used 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes (I used regular diced tomatoes)
- 2 bay leaves (I didn't have these, so I omitted them)
- 6 c. chicken stock
- 8 oz. fusilli pasta
- ½ c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves (didn't have that either!)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- CHEESY GOODNESS
- 8 oz. ricotta
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- In a large soup pot - saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil for several minutes.
- Add the bulk sausage and break up into small pieces, cooking until no longer pink.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices, chicken broth, tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook on medium heat until the pasta is done - about 15 minutes.
- To serve. Add a dollop of ricotta cheese mixture in the bottom of the bowl. Add the soup on top and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese on top. I also had fresh spinach as an add in. Add the spinach and stir - if desired.
Thanks Biz, for making this so many times – I’m glad I finally tried it!
Have you made this soup before??