Last week as I was chopping veggies for salad club at my office. For those of you who don’t know what salad club is, about 6 friends from my office bring some greens and a fruit or veggie to share and we have one giant salad bar, it’s amazing!!
But back to my story, it was almost 9:30 when I texted my friend Lily who is in salad club with me “is it crazy for me to make naan bread for salad club tomorrow right now?” She said “YES – but that would be awesome!”
I’ve had this recipe on my fridge for a few months from Kitchen Simplicity. Every time I want to make it her way, I don’t have enough time to wait for the dough to rise twice. But since it was late I figured I would just make it, not wait for the dough to rise and see what happens – you know what? I turned out great! So from start to finish I was done in 30 minutes making and cooking these!
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic -chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons milk (I used skim milk)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups bread flour (I used all purpose)
- 1/cup butter, melted
- Add the yeast to the warm water in a mixing bowl and wait 5 minutes. After that add the rest of the ingredients (EXCEPT MELTED BUTTER) and mix with a dough hook for 3-4 minutes.
- The dough will be kind of sticky.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and set aside.
- Pull off about a golf ball size piece of dough and roll it out to the desired thickness. I did mine about ⅛ inch thick.
- Brush both sides with melted butter and place on a griddle pan (or if you have a skillet, that will work too) and cook for about 3 minutes per side.
If you would like to see the recipe I tweaked this from, with the rising directions -that recipe is HERE
Have you made Naan bread before??
Also – big favor – my Friend Mara’s sister is trying to get nominated for a James Beard award – please vote for her the deadline is tomorrow! Here is what Mara posted on facebook for the details:
Reposting with a deadline! We can only vote until TOMORROW! The holidays are all about doing good things for people… and I’d like to do something nice for my sister Leigh. She’s had an amazing year at Cafe des Architectes here in Chicago, and it’s one of her dreams to win a James Beard award. Please help her achieve this by visiting this link, logging in (they dont’ send spam, I promise!), and voting for Leigh Omilinsky of Cafe des Architectes in Chicago, IL in the Great Lakes region. Please and thank you! http://jamesbeard.starchefs.com/awards/vote/index_2.php