Last weekend my daughter Claire had the fridge open to figure out what to make for lunch. She came running to me and said – “what if I made pierogi’s with the left over won ton wrappers?” She and my son Paul LOVE them. I have considered making them from scratch, but to be honest it looks very time consuming and kind of hard, so I’ve been scared to try!
Claire likes the potato and cheese filling, so we had a potato, and some cheese and we were ready to go!
- won ton wrappers - I used the square kind
- 1 large baked potato
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons skim milk
- oil for sauteeing - I used grapeseed oil
- Wash the outside of the potato and bake in the microwave until done.
- Remove the inside of the potato and discard the skin.
- In a medium bowl, add the mashed potato and the rest of the ingredients until they are light and fluffy.
- Now the assembly begins! Take one of the squares of won ton wrappers and add about 1 -2 tsp. of the filling. Put some water on your finger and place water around the outside of the wrapper and then fold it like pillow.
- I used a cast iron skillet - added about 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil and cooked them 2 minutes per side until done.
- We made at least 20 with the mashed potatoes we made, so it's a very economical dish!
Have you ever made home made pierogi’s before? If so, please leave a link in the comments – I may have to give it a whirl!
Have a great weekend! I don’t have any plans at the moment, so I guess my plan will be getting busy in my kitchen at some point. I am going to attempt to make granola bars for maybe the 12th time! It doesn’t matter what recipe I use, the bars never stay together and I end up with just granola….
Here is the recipe I am going to attempt from EATING WELL magazine.
The LOOK amazing, so I am hoping for the best!
(image from Eating Well.com)
So that’s another question I guess – have you ever made a HEALTHY granola bar that stays in the shape of a bar? I know I can make one with a stick of butter, but I’m trying to avoid that!