I am so lucky because my friend Kathy brings me blueberries from a blueberry farm near her summer home – like several pounds worth! I just got them a few weeks ago. Ate some, froze some for later. I’ve been enjoying adding them to cereal, pancakes, with yogurt – they are perfect.
I haven’t made muffins in a while, so what better way to add blueberries?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon "O" olive oil (clementine flavor) *can use canola oil or regular olive oil too
- 1½ cups skim milk
- ¼ cup egg beaters (or 1 egg)
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 1 cup blueberries
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (I used the juice of one lime)
- In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to incorporate that together.
- In a smaller bowl, add the egg beaters, skim milk, olive oil, lime juice and lime zest.
- Add that to the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened, try not to over mix or the muffins will be tough.
- Fold the blueberries in.
- Spray a 12 muffin tin with cooking spray
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes in the muffin tin then remove and cool fully on a wire rack.
Last summer I participated in a cooking contest with O Olive oil and vinegar. I made apple pie with mine that turned out amazing! Sadly, I did not win, but I love O Olive oil products. You can order them HERE.
Once I started making these, I found out I didn’t have any other oil or butter in the house! So I turned to O Olive oil and these turned out awesome!
I figured out the calories on www.caloriecount.com.
I didn’t have any powdered sugar, but if you wanted to, you could add a little powdered sugar with lime juice and drizzle that over the top (just add the calories if you do that!).
Have you been blueberry picking this summer? What are you making?
If you haven’t frozen fresh blueberries – this is the way I did it: