It’s funny after reading so many food blogs over the years when I find a new one that is amazing! Emily Bites has recipes that are re-vamped to make lighter and healthier. I’ve read a bunch of her recipes and they all look delicious!
My daughter was in the mood to make something last night and I said “what if we make baked donuts for breakfast tomorrow?” So I went to see if Emily had a recipe for one, and sure enough she did. I’ve made THESE donuts before if you don’t have a donut pan. But having a donut pan sure makes it nice!
If you don’t have a donut pan, you can get them for less than $15.00 at Target
So without further ado, here’s the recipe! *I used WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR – you could use all purpose flour instead if you wanted.
A great way to enjoy a donut and not blow all your calories for the day!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Place all the ingredients in a mixer and mix for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides.
- I used a big measuring cup to pour into the donut pans. You don't want to fill them to the top or else you won't have a hole in the middle!
- Bake in a pre-heated 450 degree oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
- *I recommend spraying the pan with PAM cooking spray so it doesn't stick.
I used grapeseed oil because that’s all I had, although you could use Canola Oil too.
If you want to add a glaze, mix 2 tablespoons powdered sugar with 1-2 tsp. skim milk. And add sprinkles if you want – just add the calories for that!
These were amazing – I’m going to make these a lot! Have you ever made baked donuts before?
How are your healthy eating/exercise plans coming along? I am happy to say – I am doing great! I’ve worked out – walked to work, and I am using smaller plates for dinner so it seems like I am eating more. I don’t have access to a gym, so I am using free exercise videos on Comcast Cable (under the exercise tab). I did a kick boxing workout and a cardio with weights.
I also did a few videos on HULU.com which are free – so I have no excuses not to exercise!